Whether you are building your dream home or renovating an existing one, having the job done well is crucial. This is a place that you and your family intend to live in for years to come, so you don’t want to be cutting corners now and paying the price later on.
Finding the right builder to suit your needs can feel like a daunting prospect. Worry not, we have compiled a quick guide on things to look for from your builder.
If you have no clue where to start, then a quick search of builders in your area will give you a good jumping-off point. But also ask around, many local builders will have a reputation in their area that you can check out.
You should always choose a builder who has a record of top quality work. This is not an area to skimp on. Poor quality materials and craftsmanship can lead to expensive repairs later on. Remember that the highest quality is usually in the stuff you don’t see, but the foundations upon which you build are the most important aspect of any property.
One of the best ways to find a builder that has high-quality work is via recommendation. This could be through friends and family personal experiences or from the builders own reviews. A good place to look for reviews is the Facebook pages and websites of the builder’s you are considering.
Once you have found a few builders who have reviews that appeal to you, then the next step would be to talk to them directly. Ask them for examples of their work, even go and look at projects they have completed.
Do your research
As mentioned above, a quick search for builders in your area will give you a list of names. But even if they are recommended by a friend, there are other factors to consider. When talking to your prospective builder there are a few things you may wish to ask.
- How long have they been trading for? Experience really does matter.
- If they are a new company, do the actual builders have the experience to back up their trade?
- How many projects like yours have they completed? You may find an excellent builder for repair work, but what if they have never built a house from scratch and that is what you want?
- Are there examples of their work 10 years on that you can check out?
- Do they offer free quotes? How accurate are their quotes? How long does it take to get a quote?
- What about the specific issues that you may have with your project. Is this builder able to provide a workable solution?
- What are the costs involved? Will you be notified if there is a price difference before the work is completed?
- What about the time involved? How long will it take to get started and how long will it take to finish?
- Are you the only project they are going to be working on at this time?
- How many customers do they have?
Communication is Key
When speaking to your choices, one of the key things to remember is how you communicate with one another. Does your potential builder understand what you want them to do? Do they share your vision and can they help you to achieve it?
Also, consider how long it has taken them to get back to you with quotes and information you have requested. If you are frustrated from the outset when just making an enquiry, imagine how frustrated you will be when trying to get answers later on.
Do you feel comfortable with them? A good rapport will help you to keep tabs on the project as it is developing and be kept in the loop of any unexpected developments. You want to know that your project is going to be finished in the timescale you have been quoted. You want to know that if there are any problems, you will find out before they become a major issue or cause a major delay.
When everyone keeps talking and no one is left wondering what is going on, both customer and contractor are happy.
Please don’t hesitate to ask us further questions
We hope that this has given you some guidance on finding your perfect building contractor and our friendly staff are always on hand to answer any questions you may have.
Please don’t hesitate to contact Precision Builders on 01452 504525 or fill in the contact form on our website and we will be in touch with you. https://www.precisionbuildersltd.co.uk/contact-us/